The Prison Phoenix Trust is a charitable organisation that encourages prisoners in their spiritual lives through a daily practice of yoga and meditation, working with silence and the breath.
They do this practice by:
- training qualified yoga teachers for prison and helping establish regular prison classes for prisoners and for staff
- airing a radio yoga class three times per week
- sending free books and CDs out to prisoners who request them
- writing regular practical yoga columns for prisoner publications such as Inside Time and Women in Prison
- offering personal correspondence about prisoners’ meditation and yoga practice
- producing a quarterly newsletter.
They communicate with all their beneficiaries as individuals and recognise that many prisoners have multiple and complex needs. They provide their books in various languages, as well as for people who can’t read at all, and recommend yoga practices for people with specific ailments and disabilities.