MBSR can be helpful in gaining appropriate skills to deal with stress and stress related disorders, and other physical and emotional disorders such as chronic pain, heart disease, high blood pressure, sleep disturbance, skin disorders, anxiety, persistent low mood, depression, fear, anger low self esteem and poor coping strategies.
At certain times in our lives we all experience difficult and stressful events, and for some of us this is a daily occurrence. At the heart of this programme is a simple premise that we have choices as to how to relate to even the most challenging of life situations and events. By bringing greater attention to the way our lives unfold moment to moment, we are able to discover how our habitual reactions exacerbate our problems, and learn skills for facing lifes challenges more resourcefully.
Who can benefit?
- Anyone with stress and stress related disorders such as physical tension, high blood pressure, irritability, nervousness, poor concentration, sleep disturbances, irritable bowel, chronic pain, panic attacks and restlessness.
- Anyone wishing to deal with emotional difficulties more effectively such as anxiety, persistent low mood, depression, fear, anger, poor coping strategies and low self esteem.
- Anyone considering life enhancing change but feeling stuck and unable to move on.
- Anyone interested in living life more fully and with greater awareness.
- An increased ability to relax.
- A greater appreciation, enthusiasm and energy for life.
- An increased ability to deal effectively with long and short-term stress.
- An increased ability to manage fear, anger, anxiety, worry and depression.
- A noticeable decrease in physical and psychological difficulties.
The programme gave me an alternative perspective, and a valuable set of tools at a time of hight stress. I hope that next time I find myself in a similar situation, I will be able to use those tools and act pre-emptively to avoid getting into the same negative cycle again.